12/02/2004

Optimus Prime is my President

From my various readings of other blogs, it seems that it some sort of rule that blogs have some political aspect, even if just in passing. Since I am just starting out with this, I thought I would just get this out of the way and state up front that Optimus Prime is My President.

As I was checking google to make sure that I was correctly spelling “Optimus” (duh, I guess I could have just looked at the photo) when I ran across this. It is a bit old, but it makes me miss the level of hard hitting TV news coverage in Cleveland (where dogs wandering out on the ice of Lake Erie was once a lead off story on the local news).

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

POSTED: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 4:02:13 AM
National guardsman changed his name to a toy
CUYAHOGA FALLS -- A member of Ohio's 5694th National Guard Unit in Mansfield legally changed his name to a Transformers toy.

Optimus Prime is heading out to the Middle East with his guard unit on Wednesday to provide fire protection for airfields under combat.

"On Sunday, we were announced as the best firefighting unit in the Army National Guard in the entire country," said Prime. "That was a big moment for us."

Prime took his name from the leader of the Autobots Transformers, which were popular toys and a children's cartoon in the 1980s.

He legally changed his name on his 30th birthday and now it's on everything from his driver's license, to his military ID, to his uniform.

"They razzed me for three months to no end," said Prime. "They really dug into me about it."

A few months later he was released from active duty due to a family tragedy when his house burned down.
He’s now back in Iraq working for KBR.
Here’s his current site
http://optimusprime.iwarp.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home