3/21/2005

Reason #239 to like Japan

Where else would you get this sort of thing?

Interestingly enough, it doesn't appear to be a part of a specific marketing tie-in of some sort (i.e., there's no new game coming out)...it is just celebrating Mario Brothers, although Pepsi is running several Nintendo themed promotions at the moment. http://www.pepsi.co.jp/campaign/nintendo/ It is rather just something cool and different to do to get people to buy the product. Although, different is maybe not the right word, since this type of promotion (trinkets on sodas) is not uncommon in Japan...Pepsi did something similar with bottle caps Star Wars: the Phantom Menace and I think even for the 70’s band Pink Lady. Also this type of thing seems to be done only for single item sales in convenience stores (conbini) and usually not in vending machines (for obvious reasons). FYI, multi-pack packages seem to be rare to non-existent in Japan from my shopping experiences. So it would appear that most consumption is a single serving type, although that serving could be anywhere from 150 to 500 mls. And before you think, "Hey, I bet you could just feel the cap to figure out what's under the foil cover...", the odds are that it will be wrapped in cardboard to disguise the shape.

But even more interesting is this.....Buy a bottle of soda, get 4 meters of package sealing Super Mario tape. I'm a big enough dork that I might even buy Diet Pepsi to get one of these. Man, why can't we have things like this in the US? I am sure some of it has to do with the difference in the expectations/operational realities of the marketplaces, it might also have to do with the fact that those 1.5 liter bottles cost usually cost between $2 (on sale) to $3.45 (full price) in Japan, while US bottlers have long struggled to try to get beyond the $1-1.50 price point for 2 liters.

Although my interest this might be saying something about me, since I'm highly certain that I am one of the few men who have ever bought this item...although I haven't been brave enough to actually use it yet http://www.kawaiigifts.com/catalog/item/1517023/993697.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home