8/04/2006

In defense of....Sucks


Team Homer
Bart and Lisa walk into the kitchen dressed in their new bland school uniforms.
Bart: [whining] Mom, my slingshot doesn't fit in these pockets. And these shorts leave nothing to the imagination. These uniforms suck!
Marge: Bart! Where do you pick up words like that?
Homer: [on phone] Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!
Homer: Aw, I gotta go. My damn wiener kids are listening. [hangs up]
Lisa: We are not wieners!
Homer: Then what are you dressed like that for?
Bart+Lisa: They made us.
Homer: "Oh, they made us." That's loser-talk!
Slate.com had a pretty amusing piece in defence of the utter usefulness of the word "sucks".

But this debate is tired. We could argue all day about whether sucks is an obscenity or not. (I'll just note that time is on my side. Frequent usage in all sorts of contexts means sucks grows less obscene by the minute.) What's far more interesting to me is the word's utility.
Sucks is the most concise, emphatic way we have to say something is no good. As a one-syllable intransitive verb, it offers superb economy. Granted, some things require more involved assessments (like, say, James Joyce: I find his early work unparalleled in its style and its evocation of emotion, while his later writing became willfully opaque in a manner that leaves me cold). But other things don't require this sort of elaboration (like, say, John Grisham: He sucks).

At my previous job at the Cracker Factory, I eventually noticed that I and my peers were the only people who seemed to use the term "sucks"....that my older coworkers and bosses were still hung up on its sexual overtone and they were a slightly aghast that it was used casual conversation. For me, it never had any sexual overtones but had always been brutually efficent negative usage. And of course, where would we be without "______ is teh suck"?