12/09/2004

Ladies Happy Xmas partywear

There are a massive numbers of things in Japan that one can question the wisdom/fairness/the point of, but then you see something like this and those thoughs go out the window and you just sigh and wish you were there. Mega Kawaii!.

Tokyu Hands is a store with Household DIY (think of a cross between REI and IKEA) with some hobby store elements along with things like stationary, luggage, and party goods. You can see some shots of their Halloween costumes in the Halloween photo album on the left.

And just like gashapons, they come with "variations" as well. I believe I actually saw something like this one the left in an UFO (crane grabbing arcade machine) machine in Shinjuku in October, but I haven't been able to find the photo as of yet.

Here are the men's outfits
When I arrived in Tokyo on my last trip, the first thing I saw on when I turned the TV on was some power ranger varient show, in which the college aged power rangers (who by day work as group on a coffee shop on wheels) helped to free Santa (actually, several dozen Santas) from some evil trap....and the main bad guy was a really petulent 12 year old boy in short pants.

For more on Christmas in Japan, and the answer to "Do all Japanese people eat at KFC for Christmas dinner?", read more at

http://www.bigempire.com/sake/christmas.html