12/11/2004

The first rule of Nuts and Gum is....

I am just starting out with this blog and I am a bit uncertain about what I am going to do with this. While I doubt I will come up with a Fight Club list of rules, I suspect that things will boil down along these lines:

I am not going to write about personal things in a specific sense. The world already has far too many blogs that go '“I did this, I did that, I am God's special snowflake , Oh, the drama of my life (well, that'’s a bit unfair, as her site is pretty good, but she cranks up the drama too much at times). While blogs, by their nature are personal and usually selfish, since 99.9999% of the people who do the blogs are not doing it for financial gain but for their own reasons. In my case, this effort is a reason for me to write things down and to chew over some ideas. So I will mention some things that going on in my life, but I suspect most of that will be things I will mention to explain context ('“When I was in _______, I saw this'” or '“I was talking to one of my friends and the topic of ____ came up'”).

I will frequently bring up marketing, advertising and new products, since I find these topics interesting…although I know most people don'’t. So it might seem that I really like candy bars and soft drinks, but it is more that, at this moment, I keep running into new ones that seem odd.

I will frequently refer to Japan and Japanese things because that is another topic I find interesting and it seems that a good number of my friends are curious about it to some degree or at least curious about why I'’m interested in it.

These two orientations will also likely intersect on the topic of video games, which I used to play frequently, although I now play them as much less frequently than I did in the past. However, they are likely to be a large component of Project Arcturus, so they will come up in passing.

I am using this blog to try to improve my writing skills. While I don’t think my style is horrible, I wouldn'’t go as far to say it is good, and some fresh posts may be a bit rough (run-on sentences and dropped articles are common flaws). Don'’t be surprised if I retroactively edit most of my posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home